12.17.2009

Butternut Squash Soup

Ok, the rest of the squash made a super easy, super delicious soup. This recipe made about 3 large bowls, but it would be very easy to double this recipe... it would just take an entire roasted squash rather than half of one.

3 c. chicken broth (I used the stock from earlier this week)
1 chopped onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 T olive oil
1 T your favorite mustard (I loooove horseradish mustard, so that's what I used)
2 c. roasted squash (this is just what was left from the squash the night before)
3 rather small red potatoes, quartered and boiled, then smashed-- about 1/2 c. before cooking
1 t. sage
1/2 t. black pepper
a little salt

toppings
roasted squash seeds
bacon
parmesean
pesto

Saute the onion in the oil over medium about 5 mintues, add the garlic, saute another 3 minutes or so. Add mustard and stir. Add broth, bring to boil, add squash, potatoes, sage, pepper and salt, stir for a few minutes, to a boil, remove from heat. Put in blender in two batches and pulse the soup 'till smooth. Serve with whatever toppings you like. Grilled cheese is great on the side!




Now, the soup was very good last night, with the bacon, parmesean, and squash seed sprinkled on top, and was very attractive. However, you could put a little pesto (or just basil or just pine nuts) on a shoe and I would probably eat it, so I'll have to say I liked this a little better for lunch today with the pesto. Just my opinion.

2 comments:

deb said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. You are a great cook and a great writer. I keep printing your recipes. Now all I have to do is make them!!

erinka said...

Thank you for reading and commenting! I have a feeling I am writing to an audience of about 3, so I thank you 3 for your comments!