1.11.2010

Another Movie Review

Yes, I still cook, but I haven't yet uploaded the picture of last night's dinner, so let me talk about this movie we just watched.

Pulp Fiction is pretty much my favorite movie of all time, and I very much respect and like Quentin Tarentino, but I can't say I totally love his other films. Jackie Brown was pretty good, but the rest seem full of more violence than I care to see.

So why did I want to see the Nazi-scalping film Inglourious Basterds? Well, I think it's gun-shooting that gets to me more than general violence. Also the machismo that goes along with most gun/violence movies... give me a break. This movie contained violence of all types-- guns, bats, knives, explosions, strangulation, but so what! This movie is great! The 'Jew Hunter', one of the main Nazis, is one of my favorite characters in recent memory. Mike Myers had a small role as an English armyman-- weird and funny. The whole movie was weird and funny and interesting. From the first scene, in which there is this really cool, quick, change of camera focus, I was totally into this movie. I thought I would be annoyed by Brad Pitt in the quirky role he played, but no annoyance whatsoever. He was pretty likable. I look forward to watching this movie again.

2 comments:

deb said...

I'm glad for the review as I think I will rent the movie this weekend. What do you think of a 13 year old guy watching this?

erinka said...

There are a few shots of dead Nazis being scalped, no sex stuff, limited foul language. Phil doesn't think he would allow a 13 year old to watch it, but I think I would. I have a feeling most 13 year olds have seen violence on this film's level.