1.04.2010

For When You're Sick

Well, here in my house we're paying the price for hanging out with so many kids over Christmas... Phil's getting over his cold and mine has just started. So what's better for a cold than chicken soup, right? Spicy chicken soup--that's what's better. I used to work with a generous, adventurous cook who made this killer spicy chicken-cilantro-lime soup. One day at work I was sick and he happened to have some of that soup with him. Nice guy that he was, he gave me his soup, and I never forgot that act of kindness or that wonderful soup. Here's my interpretation of John's tonic.

Fiesta Chicken Soup
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
8 c. chicken broth (or stock to make it richer)
1 t. cumin seeds
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 t. ground cayenne or red pepper flakes
1 lb. chicken, cut into small pieces (I used thighs because they were on sale)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
4-5 roasted peppers (poblano or anaheim are very good), chopped
2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
juice from a lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a large pot on medium, saute onion in oil until starting to brown, add garlic, saute an additional 3-5 mintues, until garlic starts to soften. Add chicken broth, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper, then add chicken pieces. Bring to a boil. Add beans, peppers, tomatoes. Return to boil, then cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Right before serving stir in lime juice and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers... it's spicy!


The beans and the chicken are in there on the bottom.... I guess they don't float the way the veggies do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great soup, I was sick too and this made me feel so much better.

Unknown said...

I think i might try this, it looks yummy