1.19.2010

Birthday Weekend

Ok, the birthday break is over, so I guess it's back to the grind! Not only did I have an exciting job interview in Indianapolis to start my birthday weekend, but I got to see much of my family while in Indiana. Had fun shopping with Gram and Mom, and Dad and Mollie were gracious hosts, as always. The Colts played Saturday night, and Dad's whole household donned the appropriate apparel.

The dogs have Colts shirts on, too, if it's not clear.

Saturday afternoon we made the short trip down to Oliver winery and tasted some delicious wines. The grow several varieties of grapes there near Bloomington, and buy several varieties from west coast growers. Our wine pourer girl was great, she explained they buy grapes still on the vines, then pick and juice them in Bloomington. Of their homegrown wines, the Chardonel (or Chardonnay light, as it can be described) was my favorite... nicely oaked and very smooth. Of their imported grape wines, the Merlot was my favorite. Beautiful, jammy fragrance and silky smooth taste. There were lots of great wines at Oliver. To be part of the local wine trail here in southern Illinois 90% of your grapes must be grown here. I like the thought behind that, and admire the integrity of the Shawnee Wine Trail for their support of local agriculture. However, you can only grow a small variety of grapes here in the midwest... I enjoy drinking Merlot, Zinfandel, Riesling, etc. I guess I just like drinking wine, really. Oh, another noteworthy Oliver thing-- their Foch was the best Foch I've ever had. Mild, smooth, full.

First meeting of the Carbondale Book Club tonight, so I probably won't cook. Hopefully cooking will resume soon!

2 comments:

deb said...

What book are you reading for the book club?

erinka said...

I don't know... there are just 3 of us and we are meeting for the first time tonight to discuss what we like to read. We're meeting at Barnes and Noble, so I guess we'll decide on a book then go buy it!