1.03.2010

Non-Food Post

A couple of days ago I read some movie reviewer's Top 10 Movies You Didn't See Last Year list, probably on slate.com. A lot of the movies on the list seemed gritty and crime-y: two words I would never use to describe a movie I'd be interested in watching. Toward the end of the list was a Robin Williams movie called World's Greatest Dad. I'm kinda back and forth on Robin Williams. I'm sure I've liked him in some movies, but whenever I think of him I think of cocaine and too much energy and try to think of someone else.

Well the Red Box movie dispenser at Walmart had World's Greatest Dad, and since some random reviewer said it was good, we rented it. And it was good! It was very good! It was written and directed by the illustrious Bobcat Goldthwaite (luckily I didn't know this until the closing credits, because you can be sure there's no way I would've watched a Robin Williams movie written by Bobcat Goldthwaite).

I don't want to discuss the plot, because we really had no idea what it was about or what to expect when we started watching, and that whole sense of unknowing made the viewing experience even more pleasurable, I'm sure. Robin Williams' son in the movie is not a very nice person, and has quite a potty mouth... this movie earns it's R rating. If you can get around profanity, I think you'll be happy you spent the 90 minutes or whatever watching this dark comedy.



The other movie we got from the Red Box is Extract, by Mike Judge, starring Jason Bateman. That one was not so good. Mike Judge's other movies are way funnier, and Jason Bateman is way, way funnier in Arrested Development. But if you liked Extract, you'll love World's Greatest Dad, because it's an all-around much better movie.

Another thing that makes WGD good: a quick scene with Krist Novoselic. He doesn't even talk, but it's just nice to see him again. Another thing that makes Extract bad: Ben Affleck is in it, and has the worst haircut ever worn by anyone.

0 comments: