1.19.2010

The Wonderful Walnut

For some reason yesterday I got to thinking about this pasta dish. It's from the back of the walnut bag, and it's really good. I think I just made it one day because I wanted to use the rest of the walnuts I had and I had all the other ingredients in my kitchen, so I thought, 'why not?' I can't wait for the basil to be abundant again so I can make this. Actually, I bet it would be pretty good with parsley substituted for the basil. There's nothing like basil, of course, but fresh parsley is pretty great (and way cheaper).


Pasta with Walnut Cream Sauce
12 oz fettuccine (or pasta of choice)
2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
4-5 cloves minced garlic
3 T. milk
3 T. sour cream
1/2 c. parmesan, grated
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil (or parsley)

Prepare pasta. In skillet, heat oil on medium, add walnuts and garlic, saute 3-5 minutes. Add milk, sour cream, cheese, S and P. Stir until thickened. Add basil, combine with pasta.


And another way to use butternut squash. It kinda tastes like pumpkin bread... in fact I think I took a recipe for pumpkin bread and just used squash instead. And toasting the walnuts before using make them extra yummy.

Butternut Squash Bread

1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 c. pureed or mashed up squash that's been cooked/roasted
1/2 c. cooking oil
2 eggs
1/4 c. water
1/2 t. each: cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
1/2 c. toasted walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Mix flour, salt, sugar, soda.
In a separate bowl, mix spices with squash, then add oil, eggs, water.
Combine all, add nuts.
Bake in greased and floured bread pan 50-60 minutes. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

0 comments: